Wiki Z00.00 vs Z00.01

Trixie2013

Best answers
There are conflicting views on how the Z00.01 should be used. I have read that the Z00.01 is to be only used when you have a problem that requires a "new plan of care" its not intended for a routine problem that is stable.
There are others that think because the patient has HTN or diabetes that is stable that you should still use the Z00.01.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have been all over the web and its all conflicting.

The best place to start with questions like this should always be in the ICD-10 Official Guidelines since that is the original and definitive source of information. Your question is actually directly addressed in the guidelines, in Section IV, paragraph P:

An examination with abnormal findings refers to a condition/diagnosis that is newly identified or a change in severity of a chronic condition (such as uncontrolled hypertension, or an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) during a routine physical examination.

Based on this, I believe that it would be incorrect to use Z00.01 for a chronic condition that is stable if that was not newly identified in the course of the exam.