Wiki z11.52 encounter for screening for Covid-19 TIP

Ruthannpardo

Contributor
Best answers
ICD10 2022 Optum 360 shows "This code is not appropriate for use during the pandemic phase of Covid-19. Use Z20.822; contact with or suspected exposure to Covid-19 instead." My patient is getting screened for travel. Why would a tip be written unless it applied to all circumstances which does not seem the situation in my case. Hence, the correct code for my patient is Z20.822 contact. (?). This seems just wrong.

ICD10 2022 Optum 360 shows "This code is not appropriate for use during the pandemic phase of Covid-19. Use Z20.822; contact with or suspected exposure to Covid-19 instead." My patient is getting screened for travel. Why would a tip be written unless it applied to all circumstances which does not seem the situation in my case. Hence, the correct code for my patient is Z20.822 contact. (?). This seems just wrong.
The testing that's going on during the pandemic isn't really what's usually thought of as 'screening', which is testing that is done for early detection of disease based on recommendation of the preventive services task force. Testing because of a pandemic is really a different thing altogether.

But whether it seems wrong or not, it's how the CDC has decided it is to be reported during the pandemic. This guidance is taken directly from the current ICD-10 official guidelines I.C.1.g.1.e:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, a screening code is generally not appropriate. Do not assign code Z11.52, Encounter for screening for COVID-19. For encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing, code as exposure to COVID-19.

Coding guidance will be updated as new information concerning any changes in the pandemic status becomes available.