Wiki Z76.0 Encounter for issue of repeat prescription

I think you're risking a denial for routine care with that code. What I found says it's used when the ONLY service is a repeat prescription. Sounds problematic to me. "Prescription" is not a chief complaint.

When we have patients complete our followup visit paperwork, the "reason for visit" specifically states, "what is the MEDICAL PROBLEM you are coming in for? "Prescriptions", "because I come once a month", and "because the doctor said to" are not MEDICAL PROBLEMS".

I've used it as a secondary code. If the primary reason for the visit is b/c pt has hypertension, has no problems related to it and is there b/c he's required to be seen to refill a script to keep the HTN controlled, I code it as I10, Z76.0, Z79.899.

from encoder
"Section Z69 - Z76
Codes in this code block may be used as first listed when the patient is primarily seeking counseling or medical advice. Additionally, codes in this code block can provide important supplementary information, as secondary codes, to identify circumstances related to the patient, such as bed confinement status that may alter the patient's care regime or identify risk factors for conditions that are not yet present."