• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

"10 minutes of medical discussion"

JDACPC

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Messages
171
Location
Richfield, PA
For the audio-only codes, when using MDM rather than time, have you initiated a policy that requires the providers to attest to "more than 10 minutes of medical discussion?" If you have found any authoritative guidance on the requirement, I would love to see it. I have found plenty of info on time-based codes and the requirements for minutes must be met or exceeded, code to the full description, but nothing that mentions this scenario specifically. Thank you!!

Synchronous audio-only visit for the evaluation and management of a new patient, which requires a medically appropriate history and/or examination, moderate medical decision making, and more than 10 minutes of medical discussion.
 
Hi there, I can't find anything in the 2025 CPT Changes or a few private payer polices that spell out documentation requirements or recommendations. Personally I think having them document the exact time makes sense because it might allow for a higher code than MDM for a visit. I also think identical statements for time give auditors something to pick at, but again, I can't find any authoritative statements that say it is wrong.
 
Top