Wiki 11970 and 19371

libra17

New
Best answers
Hi!!

Does anyone happen to know have any knowledge of correct billing for patients having capsulectomy (19371) and tissue expander to permanent implant (11970). 2017 now has 11970 bundled into 19371; I don't feel comfortable reporting this as 19380 and 19340 as the patient is technically not having an revision- just going from expander to permanent implant with no other complications. Lastly, if the patient has capsular constricture I can seen reporting 19371-59.

Thank you,
T

I see you posted this question awhile ago and didn't receive any responses. I know this is delayed, but I thought I would respond in case you encounter the same scenario with a different case. When a capsulectomy is performed at the same time as a tissue expander to breast implant exchange, the AMA has recommended coding 19342. I started a website recently to help fellow coders. Right now, I'm just writing articles about surgical coding, and I happened to touch on this topic last week. I hope this information is helpful :): http://codingmastery.com/2018/05/29/tissue-expander-exchanged-for-an-implant/.

Have a good night
Kim
www.codingmastery.com