Wiki 15002 for deep scar removal

KeraA

New
Best answers
Good morning! I've recently had an orthopedic doctor start using 15002 for removal of deep scar tissue. I don't feel this is the correct code based on the CPT description because a recipient site wasn't created, however it does say "or incisional release of scar contracture, trunk, arms, legs; first 100 sq cm or 1% of body area of infants and children", so I know he's going to argue with me. I would love to get another opinion on this. Thank you!!

Pre-op diagnosis: 1. Left hip periprosthetic joint infection
2. Left hip draining sinus tract and surgical wound dehiscence
3. Left acetabular abscess
Post-op diagnosis: other (1. Left hip periprosthetic joint infection; 2. Left hip draining sinus
tract and surgical wound dehiscence ; 3. Left acetabular abscess; 4.Left iliotibial band tension
with adhesions)
Operation Performed:
1. Explant of infected left total hip arthroplasty (CPT 27091, modifier 22)
2. Incision and debridement of acetabular bone abscess (CPT 26992)
3. Partial excision and craterization of proximal femur bone (CPT 27360)
4. Manual preparation and placement of articulating antibiotic cement spacer (CPT 20702)
5. Manual preparation and placement of antibiotic beads (CPT 20700)
6. Fasciotomy of iliotibial band and release of subfascial adhesions (CPT 27025)
7. Excision of sinus tract, scar tissue, and complex wound closure (CPT 15002)
8. Secondary closure of surgical wound dehiscence with negative pressure wound vac (CPT 13160)

The patient's prior incision was excised along with the draining sinus tract near the proximal
aspect of the incision. This was carried out using a scalpel and electrocautery and the full
thickness scar was excised down to the fascia. The draining sinus tract led to a deep pocket of
abscess and rent in the fascia. This was also excised and debrided. Hemostasis was maintained using
electrocautery. The rest of the fascia was incised along the line of the skin incision. A posterior
approach was used to enter the joint. The joint fluid appeared purulent and samples were sent for
culture and gram stain. The posterior capsule was identified and an arthrotomy was then created. The
incision was extended distally following the posterior aspect of the greater trochanter. There was
noted synovitis and signs of chronic infection. The hip was then dislocated and the ceramic femoral
head was removed using a Cobb and mallet. There was a titanium sleeve that was also removed from the

How do you think this case should be coded? What would you choose? Is there more to this op note?
There's more than just one problem here with these codes as listed above...

Good morning! I've recently had an orthopedic doctor start using 15002 for removal of deep scar tissue. I don't feel this is the correct code based on the CPT description because a recipient site wasn't created, however it does say "or incisional release of scar contracture, trunk, arms, legs; first 100 sq cm or 1% of body area of infants and children", so I know he's going to argue with me. I would love to get another opinion on this. Thank you!!

Pre-op diagnosis: 1. Left hip periprosthetic joint infection
2. Left hip draining sinus tract and surgical wound dehiscence
3. Left acetabular abscess
Post-op diagnosis: other (1. Left hip periprosthetic joint infection; 2. Left hip draining sinus
tract and surgical wound dehiscence ; 3. Left acetabular abscess; 4.Left iliotibial band tension
with adhesions)
Operation Performed:
1. Explant of infected left total hip arthroplasty (CPT 27091, modifier 22)
2. Incision and debridement of acetabular bone abscess (CPT 26992)
3. Partial excision and craterization of proximal femur bone (CPT 27360)
4. Manual preparation and placement of articulating antibiotic cement spacer (CPT 20702)
5. Manual preparation and placement of antibiotic beads (CPT 20700)
6. Fasciotomy of iliotibial band and release of subfascial adhesions (CPT 27025)
7. Excision of sinus tract, scar tissue, and complex wound closure (CPT 15002)
8. Secondary closure of surgical wound dehiscence with negative pressure wound vac (CPT 13160)

The patient's prior incision was excised along with the draining sinus tract near the proximal
aspect of the incision. This was carried out using a scalpel and electrocautery and the full
thickness scar was excised down to the fascia. The draining sinus tract led to a deep pocket of
abscess and rent in the fascia. This was also excised and debrided. Hemostasis was maintained using
electrocautery. The rest of the fascia was incised along the line of the skin incision. A posterior
approach was used to enter the joint. The joint fluid appeared purulent and samples were sent for
culture and gram stain. The posterior capsule was identified and an arthrotomy was then created. The
incision was extended distally following the posterior aspect of the greater trochanter. There was
noted synovitis and signs of chronic infection. The hip was then dislocated and the ceramic femoral
head was removed using a Cobb and mallet. There was a titanium sleeve that was also removed from the
Hello,
The description for 27091 indicates spacer insertion is included when performed. It seems like some of the report is missing, but based on this knowledge, 20702 shouldn't be reported separately. According to codify, 15002 is used when the doctor is preparing a site for a skin graft, which I don't see in the report.
As for the other codes, codify does not show that they bundle, but I would think most of them have to be performed in order to remove the hip prosthesis. I am curious, does anyone else code 13160 with 27091?
I would love to hear other opinions on this matter.

That was why I was asking how Kera thinks it should be coded. 27091 includes most or all of the codes listed above. We would have to see the entire report with headers to decide. It seems like one of those templated reports that just automatically spits out CPT codes next to a procedure header but it is up to you to code it correctly. There "may" be a place for some debridement or other sinus tract/wound work depending on where it was and if it went farther/to a different location than the work of the 27091. It is doubtful 13160 is appropriate in this case. It's definitely not 15002, read the CPT section guidelines about this code range, specifically 15002-15278.
20702 would not be correct, even if it could be reported with 27091 which it can't, it would be 20704 (intraaritcular). Additionally, 20700 would not be reported.

Last edited:
These are the codes that the MD provided, and not what I'm going to be billing out, I agree with all of the bundling issues. My question was specifically about CPT code 15002.

These are the codes that the MD provided, and not what I'm going to be billing out, I agree with all of the bundling issues. My question was specifically about CPT code 15002.
I see what you're saying. 15002 can be used for removal of deep scar tissue only if the doctor is doing so to prepare the site for grafting. If he is only removing the scar tissue and not planning on applying a graft, I would not report 15002.

Probably very uncommon to see an ortho guy report this code. Not saying it couldn't happen but it would be pretty rare I would think.