Wiki 2 e/m on same day

smaher82

Guru
Best answers
Hi

Trying to find an answer to a question. We have pts who come in for workmans comp/mva cases and most of the time are treated for other issues as well. Is it correct if we have 2 seperate notes ( one for workmans comp and one for health insurance) that we can bill 2 seperate claims.

Thanks
Shiara:confused:

We have this same situation in our office. We bill both workman's comp. and their medical insurance. We document on 2 seperate chart notes the cc, hpi, ros, exam, assessment and plan. According to the last coding class I took, billing both insurance companies is acceptable. Hope this helps.

We've done the same, they would be put in as two separate visits though and two separate encounter forms. Just so long as you bill two separate policies, I don't see a problem.

It is my understanding that you need two separate notes and it needs to be documented how much time was spent on each condition. both notes need to refer to each other. I our office we would bill out the WC first and then the private insurance after the WC has paid. it is my understanding that the insurance companies will use the time spent on the condition to make their decision on payment. I hope I explained this somewhat clearly.

Coderforlife