Wiki 2 Points for Review and Summarization of Records

KaylaRieken

True Blue
Best answers
When we see new patients we often receive referral records that our urologists review. Is it ok to give them the 2 points for reviewing the records when they are dictating a summarization of what they are reading?

Check your payers policy on E/M documentation. CMS doesn't specify a point system in the MDM (I know AAPC uses it though), and many auditors like to have the MDM quantified; however at the end of the day the whole E/M visit boils down to Medical Necessity instead of fulfilling documentation requirements.

All that said, if documentation supports the "Review of medical records" + a good summary, then as an auditor I would probably accept the 2 points (can't do the other "Review of medical records" 1 point tho) towards Amount of Data in the MDM section.

CMS is also doing an overhaul of E/M requirements already for 2019, and more so for 2021. Read more about that in this Provider Letter from CMS. I also have a whole thread dedicated to the CMS E/M changes (might have to flip a few pages in the E/M group).

Hope this is helpful.