Wiki 20 wks fetal demise with delivery

Best answers
I am needing some clarification on how to code fetal demise with delivery for 20 wks + 5 days. Pt was given cytotec, and delivered stillborn, no fetal heart beat confirmed via ultrasound two days prior. Would the coding be 59855 or 59400 with O36.4XX1 and Z37.1?

Hi. I am a new coder, so please wait for an experienced coder's response. I had this case before and i suggest to search this topic on this OB/GYN Forum, you will find helpful information because this topic was discussed here. Per ACOG, if pt is 20weeks and over, we code the Delivery with fetal demise and outcome Z37.1 If before 20w, then we choose other cpt codes that best describe the Px preformed. 59855 is used only when induction is done via 'vaginal suppositories." I tried to post the article but failed; sorry. Please wait for other responses. I am learning together with you :)

Thank you for your response. I should note the cytotec was given vaginally, so this is where I am hung up because 59855 is done with vaginal suppositories, however, it was not an induced abortion per say, because of the fetal demise.

I am needing some clarification on how to code fetal demise with delivery for 20 wks + 5 days. Pt was given cytotec, and delivered stillborn, no fetal heart beat confirmed via ultrasound two days prior. Would the coding be 59855 or 59400 with O36.4XX1 and Z37.1?
I have attached the article published by ACOG on coding for termination of pregnancy.

Attachments

• ACOG Terminations - Abortion Coding.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 28