• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

2009 ICD-9 Fever Codes

pbennetts

New
Best answers
Can someone clarify the new fever codes for me. "780.60 is for unspecifed fever and 780.61 is for fever presenting with conditions classified elsewhere."
I am not quite clear on when to use the 780.61. Would I use it with pharngitis, strep, abdominal pain or what? ICD-9 lists more chronic type conditions under the 780.61, like leukemia,neutropenia, and sickle-cell disease.
Thank you for the help and claification.

Patty Bennetts
CPC,LPN

lphillips

Guru
Best answers
780.60 vs. 780.61

Chapter 16 information listed at the start of the chapter in my book states:

"Code 780.6X (fever) includes 780.61, fever in conditions classified elsewhere, with a note stating to code the underlying condition. The note includes conditions such as leukemia and sickle-cell disease. Fever is not an integral part of either of these conditions; therefore it is reported as an additional diagnosis when present. There are specific codes for fever in certain situations: 780.62 postoperative; 780.63 postvaccination."

I have been using 780.60 when coding fever with 462, 034.0 as necessary.

Hope this helps

lphillips

Guru
Best answers
also FYI

Just thought I would also mention that you might get more replies if you post your diagnosis questions under the diagnosis forum - scroll down farther in the forum listings to medical coding - you will see listing for all types of specialties, diagnosis, E/M & general discussions. This forum is "Local Chapters - General Discussions" for discussions regarding local chapters.

Last edited: