Wiki 2009 RAC audit question

tbunch

Best answers
I do not have access to a 2009 CPT code book. I work for a Cardiologist who recently recieved an audit for billing a 93510 (left heart cath) with an E &M code 99238 (hosp discharge) on the same day. I was wondering if anyone could give me some assistance with this please. I would be greatful for any info that I could share with my physician to cover the 2009 guidelines. Thank you for your help!!

I do not have access to a 2009 CPT code book. I work for a Cardiologist who recently recieved an audit for billing a 93510 (left heart cath) with an E &M code 99238 (hosp discharge) on the same day. I was wondering if anyone could give me some assistance with this please. I would be greatful for any info that I could share with my physician to cover the 2009 guidelines. Thank you for your help!!

You can't bill a discharge service on the same day as a cath. Cardiac caths have a 0 day global period (so the day of the cath). If the discharge was on a different calendar day then it would be okay to bill.

Jessica CPC, CCC