Wiki 2013 changes

In the 2013 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule final rule issued on Nov. 1, Medicare officials indicated that the agency would not pay physicians for the add-on codes for PCI. Have you heard/seen from ACC or SCAI recommendations on whether physicians should report the add-on CPT codes even if they won't be paid by Medicare?

I've heard this but do not have the documentation on it.

I would think even if these codes are not accepted as reimbursable by Medicare, physicians employed by a hosptial, where their pay is contingent upon work RVUs, should still report those codes for said purpose.

In the 2013 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule final rule issued on Nov. 1, Medicare officials indicated that the agency would not pay physicians for the add-on codes for PCI. Have you heard/seen from ACC or SCAI recommendations on whether physicians should report the add-on CPT codes even if they won't be paid by Medicare?

The December issue of the Cardiology Coding Alert says that many experts recommend still reporting the codes in case decision for payment is reversed as well as to help in tracking how often additional branch PCI is performed.

As far as documentation see below link and go to page 173 to read discussion on the new PCI codes as the MPFS.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-11-16/pdf/2012-26900.pdf

Jessica CPC, CCC

Crosswalk for Cardiology 2013

Julie,
Can you please send me an email of your crosswalk for Cardiology CPT codes for 2013?

Thank You Very Much,

Nancy Franzino, CPC