Wiki 2018 CRC Exam pass/fail rate?

Best answers
Anyone know the percentage of coders who pass the CRC exam on the first attempt?
I passed but did not do as well as I thought I should have. I was MORE than prepared- took two prep courses, and knew the info backwards and forwards...and applied it daily at my job. I felt the exam was horrible. It asked about trivial details, all the questions were indirect and meant to confuse. There were several that I am sure had errors, one that I documented on the comments. This exam covers so much information, it was not necessary to make it so difficult to interpret.

You described the exam perfectly......

The questions were confusing in their wording and at least 2 did not have any correct answers to pick from. One had the ICD-10 code with only 4 digits when the code book clearly shows that 5 digits are needed.

It was atrocious

The questions were obviously written to misdirect and confuse rather than attempt to test our knowledge of the information. I, too, took the AAPC prep course and I've worked in Risk Adjustment coding for the last two years, so it should have been a breeze. I did end up passing, but I walked out of there thinking I had failed. As dianeld said, there were at least two with incorrect answers so I tried to choose the least-incorrect answer. I also noted those in the comment section of my answer sheet, although I don't know if those are actually read.

The questions were confusing in their wording and at least 2 did not have any correct answers to pick from. One had the ICD-10 code with only 4 digits when the code book clearly shows that 5 digits are needed.

I know the exact question you're talking about...I was so frustrated!!!!

I am so glad it wasn't just me!

I took the test this past Saturday and felt exactly the same way! The wording on a number of them was horrible and at least two questions that I can think of did not have any correct answers so...But, as I do, I blamed myself.

I, too, passed but also felt that I was very prepared and still didn't do as well as I thought I did. I guess it was just a good thing I went into it with a good cushion of preparation! (I took the AAPC online course and got some outside help as well.)

HCC/CRC Exam

Hi Fellow Coders:

I, too, was very disappointed in the CRC exam. I took it last Saturday, 5/19/18, and it is still in "received" status, one week later. For my other two certifications taken on Saturdays, I had the results either Thursday or Friday, just as other coders have stated. I spent so much money for the course with the practice exams included. I even bought a few extensions to make sure I was well prepared and took my time studying. I didn't want to be pressured to rush thought it. I reviewed each chapter over and over again. I wrote down bullet points. I even reviewed all the quizzes, tests, & the practical application assignments over and over again. I work in HIM Dept in a facility with CDI nurses in the department. So I have had first-hand, real-life scenarios to learn from. As other coders have previously stated, the questions on the exam were very confusing and some did not even have a correct answer to choose from. At first I thought it was just me, but I guess not. I am hoping AAPC is aware of the questions other coders are relating to, and just automatically mark them correct. I am trying to be patient with my results. I have generated a letter to AAPC with my concern, but am waiting to see how long it takes for me to get my results, and how I did. Then I can finalize it properly. I have not responded to the forum before, but I am on this one. It is not right for coder's tests score to look bad when it is not our fault. Thank you for listening to me!!!! Good Luck Everyone!!!

Hi Fellow Coders:

I, too, was very disappointed in the CRC exam. I took it last Saturday, 5/19/18, and it is still in "received" status, one week later. For my other two certifications taken on Saturdays, I had the results either Thursday or Friday, just as other coders have stated. I spent so much money for the course with the practice exams included. I even bought a few extensions to make sure I was well prepared and took my time studying. I didn't want to be pressured to rush thought it. I reviewed each chapter over and over again. I wrote down bullet points. I even reviewed all the quizzes, tests, & the practical application assignments over and over again. I work in HIM Dept in a facility with CDI nurses in the department. So I have had first-hand, real-life scenarios to learn from. As other coders have previously stated, the questions on the exam were very confusing and some did not even have a correct answer to choose from. At first I thought it was just me, but I guess not. I am hoping AAPC is aware of the questions other coders are relating to, and just automatically mark them correct. I am trying to be patient with my results. I have generated a letter to AAPC with my concern, but am waiting to see how long it takes for me to get my results, and how I did. Then I can finalize it properly. I have not responded to the forum before, but I am on this one. It is not right for coder's tests score to look bad when it is not our fault. Thank you for listening to me!!!! Good Luck Everyone!!!

Hope it went well and that you passed in spite of the setbacks with the test!

My suggestion for you would be to contact AAPC and discuss this with them. I had a co-worker who took a specialty exam and felt that there were misleading questions and questions that didn't seem to have any correct answer and they were very responsive and gave her the opportunity to give a lot of feedback.

Giving this type of feedback will really help with future test versions!
Michelle

I took this exam recently and I agree with the above feedback. I am an auditor in my day to day job, and a lot of the questions were not covered in the modules offered by the aapc. I had a few questions that the ICD-10 code was missing digits, so I just chose the one that was closet to the answer it should have been. The practice exams were no help either. I got the the 3rd question and wondered if they had given me the wrong exam.

I found out today I passed with an 82%. So relieved I don't have to take it again!

I took this exam recently and I agree with the above feedback. I am an auditor in my day to day job, and a lot of the questions were not covered in the modules offered by the aapc. I had a few questions that the ICD-10 code was missing digits, so I just chose the one that was closet to the answer it should have been. The practice exams were no help either. I got the the 3rd question and wondered if they had given me the wrong exam.

I found out today I passed with an 82%. So relieved I don't have to take it again!

Hi. Just wanna ask for some advice on taking the exam for CRC? Did you purchase the whole CRC prep package? What books did you use?

I took the exam this past Saturday, and I have to agree with some of the comments above. There were at least 2 questions where I was stuck picking the "least wrong" answer, and there was one question where I chose an answer with a incomplete code (I made a note in the comments) because the other answers didn't have codes for all the conditions that risk adjusted for the case. That being said, I do feel the online course from AAPC did prepare me well for the exam.

Hi. Just wanna ask for some advice on taking the exam for CRC? Did you purchase the whole CRC prep package? What books did you use?
My advice, the Study Guide for CRC is an excellent one. Master it from page to page especially the questions and answers, example the trumping one. like if documented HCC 87, then trump HCC 88, 89, etc... Do 2 passes, first pass - the easy ones first, second pass - the hardest and long long questions....

My advice, the Study Guide for CRC is an excellent one. Master it from page to page especially the questions and answers, example the trumping one. like if documented HCC 87, then trump HCC 88, 89, etc... Do 2 passes, first pass - the easy ones first, second pass - the hardest and long long questions....
Just took the CRC last Dec 7, and using the strategy, I passed it and able to finish the exam in 4 hours only ( with 1 hour and 40 minutes still remaining)....

I don't know the pass/fail rate. I'm curious to know also, because a lot of the people testing with me were on their 2nd or 3rd attempt, but I had no issues with the test or passing first try.

I don't know the pass/fail rate. I'm curious to know also, because a lot of the people testing with me were on their 2nd or 3rd attempt, but I had no issues with the test or passing first try.
ON UPDATE: I'm no longer concerned with the pass/fail rate. I've successfully passed both my CPMA & CRC exams on the first attempt. I used every last minute available.