Wiki 2020 location?

Best answers
Has the location of Healthcon in 2020 been announced yet? I know they have been alternating between Las Vegas and Orlando, but I am hoping that they choose a new city..

I heard a rumor it was Orlando again, but I can't swear to it. Wouldn't be surprised, though, since we are growing and there are not many affordable venues that can acommodate us. Plus who doesn't love Disney?

2020 National Conference

Maybe it would be nice to see the AAPC to take a poll to see how many members would like to go back to Orlando, Fla.
Betty Hougasian, CPC

National Conference

I was just at the Regional Conference in DC. I spoke with several people about the locations of the National Conferences and many people said that they are not attending the National Conferences because they are tired of going to Orlando & Vegas. Personally I don't care for the Coronado Resort. Would be nice to go somewhere different.

There had been some discussion about a survey, in fact, if I remember correctly I did get one a couple of years ago. I know that AAPC used that information to help plan regional conferences (which are seeing higher and higher attendance), but AAPC does need to have a strong Local Chapter presence in order to consider a regional.

I believe that with the volume of attendees (2500+) at HealthCon, AAPC is limited to the number of venues nationwide that will accommodate us all. Sure, most cities have conference or expo centers, but they are often able to accommodate that many people only in a stadium setting....not in multiple break out rooms with a dining room. And AAPC has to book many, many years in advance to make sure that they have adequate space. Hotels often will offer discounts (which are transferred to attendees) if an organization books for multiple years, so that's always a factor. A typical overnight stay at the Coronado Springs Resort is nearly $300 a night, so we're getting a deal. Another thing that they look at is travel....if you have to endure two or three airport transfers to get somewhere, that alone is prohibitive, and much more expensive. They do try to alternate between east and west coast. AAPC also looks at the cost of the hotels. Boston for example (although there's an international airport, and it's a great pedestrian city), will cost you $400 a night. Think Disney is expensive? Food, after-hours attractions and climate are also a factor. Who wants to be in Milwaukee in March??? Not me.

So although you might find Disney and Vegas to be redundant, HealthCon is always fresh, interesting, and by far the best run conference I've ever attended.

I'd like to make a very important point.....the AAPC Conference team and the Education Committee really do pay attention to the surveys that are sent around after HealthCon. But the response is dismally small. If you want to see changes, you have to speak up by filling out the survey and commenting on each of the topics. This Forum is not the venue for that.

I am sure that the regionals are getting better attendance because many people have to foot the cost themselves - or at least a significant portion of the costs. I fall into that category - haven't gone to a national for that reason - Vegas or Orlando won't work. The recent regional in NJ was good. I understand the lack of national meetings here in the Northeast because of costs, especially compared to Vegas, but it does affect many.

And count me as one who isn't attracted to Disney - doesn't swing my vote one way or the other.

Thanks,
Lance

I agree w/ Pam

I agree w/ Pam that it is hard to find locations to accommodate everyone and the format at Healthcon. I also agree that more people need to complete the survey at the end of the conference. We always hear of people complaining or asking for another venue, but they don't speak up when their voice can be counted. AAPC has sent a couple surveys over the last several years asking for suggestions on where to hold Healthcon or regional conferences. They do listen and try to accommodate members whenever possible, but first you need to speak by talking to a member of the Healthcon committee or completing the survey. I hope to see as many as possible in Las Vegas for Healthcon 2019! As Pam said, the City may get old, but at least the topics are new and engaging!

Healthcon 2020

Has the location of Healthcon in 2020 been announced yet? I know they have been alternating between Las Vegas and Orlando, but I am hoping that they choose a new city..

As most have to foot the cost of this event in some way, shape or form. Location is everything! And while I understand the comment about "not wanting to be in Milwaukee in March" - this years conference is at the end of April, first part of May!

Weather is a factor - but maybe "suitability" would be a better solution. I mean, it would be great to go to Orlando - but at that expense, I would also be willing to go to like Kentucky, Texas, Atlanta, Colorado, or Illinois where I may not be able to go to something like Disney - but I could shop at an abundance of stores, and have a huge selection of places to eat.

You go because of the conference, not necessarily all of the attractions surrounding the conference. I know that while I would love to go to Disney, if I am traveling for a conference...I simply don't have the time to venture out on that type of excursion unless I am paying for additional days of stay. And it would be something I'd want my family to enjoy as well, so now I'm looking at a huge expense to travel with family and they get to go have fun while I am stuck in conference venue earning CEU's!

In 2011 they had it in Long Beach, CA. It was a large convention center that looks like it accommodates large groups. I really enjoyed that it was such a walkable city with a lot of little things to see in the area. I wonder why we haven’t been back there? I would love to go there again. I do the surveys as well. My comments are posted on this years Healthcon site from last years conference survey. ? Patty B

Last edited:
Healthcon future location dates

Healthcon has not revisited Nashville, TN in a few years. With the addition of Music City Center it can accommodate our numbers for attendance. Located in downtown Nashville, close to events, restaurants, night life with many hotel options.

Sherri Smith, CPC, CCC

Why not Nashville!

We've had both regional and national conferences in Nashville. Last time we were there, there were so many attendees with allergy/asthma issues because the hotel is basically one big terrarium, that I'm thinking we won't be going back! It's lovely, but I lived with my inhaler all week. :)

My wife and I last attended HEALTHCON in Nashville and hated it. $25 a day to park a car, the food served was awful to the point we had to go elsewhere in the hotel to eat, $5 for a bottle of water. We had visited Disney in 2013 and really enjoyed the convention and facilities. While Music City Center is downtown in Nashville, depending on the weekend, hotels are exorbitant in cost. For Rock and Roll Marathon weekend, rooms are upwards of $700 a night downtown. We're coders/auditors, not CEO's.

Some of this has to do with flight costs. From KY we can get to Orlando and Vegas both for less than $250 RT without a problem as those are popular destinations. On the flip side, we can fly to London and Paris cheaper than we can to Seattle from our part of the world. As for the KY suggestion above, Louisville would be an option over Lexington, but you need to be far away from Derby weekend or rooms are impossible to get. Lexington rooms are jammed in April for Keeneland. Neither would be affordable options outside of the first week of April.

I'm hoping to hear Disney for 2020 and hope it connects close to the Star Wars race weekends, so I can attend both. We've stopped attending as it's no longer tax deductible and no employer will pay for it. The 80% employer coverage number given by AAPC seems awful high here-I've never had an employer cover, my wife has worked for 7 different coding firms in 16 years and only once was the entry fee covered.

That would be great, as it would coincide with my daughter's spring break schedule with school. I am assuming it will be at the Coronado again if it is in Orlando...

2020 Locatioin

If you attended this year's Healthcon, It is listed that 2020 is at Orlando on April 5-8. I am not a fan of Las Vegas. I also heard people commenting that next year's dates conflict with the Jewish Passover. AAPC should have checked this out before committing to these dates. I am not Jewish but several members have commented that they will not be able to attend. Also Coronado has built a new Conference facility. I like Orlando better for the transportation provided for FREE. Plus when you leave they take your check-in bag to the airport for you!!! Thus it cuts down on the time to get thru the security lines.

Yes, we're back in Orlando for HealthCon 2020. Although I do understand that there's a religious conflict for some, it's very difficult for AAPC to navigate all the holidays, seasons, vacations, school events, and month-ends that we will surely bump up against no matter when it's scheduled. They really do their best, and also have to work around the availability of the venues.

That having been said, it's my understanding that AAPC is looking into other cities moving forward. I don't have the official word (why would I?), but I had heard that the contracts with Vegas and Disney were up. I wouldn't be surprised if 2021 was already in the books, given the need for planning and preparation; vendor support and contract negotiation for the hotel and all. I just don't have any insight.

Although I have heard complaints about Disney, it's way cheaper than Vegas, cleaner, safer, better for families and frankly easier to get around. And I"m looking forward to getting out of Maine next April, that's for sure.

I wish the AAPC would record the sessions and offer them as a virtual conference. I am on a drug for MS that does a number on my immune system so I avoid large crowds such as this, especially since the dates always fall a couple of weeks after the infusion. Not to mention I usually still feel horrible around that time and would not have the stamina to do a lot of walking. I also do not get on an airplane for the same reason. I'm sure I'm not the only AAPC member with something like this. Offering the sessions as virtual opportunities would be a great way for us to get the education.

I think that's a great idea. I too have MS so I completely understand. That would be the only way I could be involved with the conference.

Don't we normally get a discounted rate if we sign up for the next conference super early? Like even while you're at the current one? Did I miss the boat on this one?

It shows under "Items" that is starts April 5th of 2020 and is in Orlando! Super excited about this, my family and I are going to stay the week after Healthcon and going to Disney World!

Yes, we're back in Orlando for HealthCon 2020. Although I do understand that there's a religious conflict for some, it's very difficult for AAPC to navigate all the holidays, seasons, vacations, school events, and month-ends that we will surely bump up against no matter when it's scheduled. They really do their best, and also have to work around the availability of the venues.

That having been said, it's my understanding that AAPC is looking into other cities moving forward. I don't have the official word (why would I?), but I had heard that the contracts with Vegas and Disney were up. I wouldn't be surprised if 2021 was already in the books, given the need for planning and preparation; vendor support and contract negotiation for the hotel and all. I just don't have any insight.

Although I have heard complaints about Disney, it's way cheaper than Vegas, cleaner, safer, better for families and frankly easier to get around. And I"m looking forward to getting out of Maine next April, that's for sure.
I think it's awesome when they do events located at a resort or some sort of amusement park! My family and I are just going to stay for a week following HEALTHCON 2020 and go to Disney World! Nice and cheap to do it all in one go and get a family vacation out of it as well! Yay HEALTHCON 2020!!!

It is in fact at Orlando Coronado Springs. Hope to see you there!

If I remember correctly, conference registration and accommodations for 3 nights at the Coronado is around $1700 or so, but I could be wrong. Rate based on single occupancy room. I generally book my package within a few days of the prices being released to lock in the introductory rate. Conference does include lunch on full days, plus various break opportunities with light refreshments and beverages.

I generally plan on $2500.00. Registration is around $1,000. Five nights at $200 or so per night is another $1000. I estimate the flight at $500. However, there are other expenses.....ground transportation (if you don't take the Disney Magical Express bus), food (HealthCon registration provides some breakfast and some lunches but no dinner). Also, $$ for donation to Hardship Scholarship fund, entertainment, and AAPC swag from the product store. There are cheaper alternatives. Stay offsite, drive if you are close enough, and don't eat on the Disney property.

Could anyone possibly give me a ballpark estimate on the cost of the whole conference per person (approximately)? For budgeting purposes...
Hi i just signed up for conference and hotel for 3 nights 1700 that will go up as of Jan 13th . I didn't buy any tickets but i saw they are avail at a discount as low as 65 for partial day.