Wiki 2021 regular OB visit- column 1

ErIn Gage

New
Best answers
I've been told since the pt is pregnant and not presenting with an illness or injury, column 1 (Number and Complexity of problems addressed) doesn't apply. So when reviewing documentation and leveling the regular OB visits, I am only to use column 2 (Data) and 3 (table of risk).
How is everyone else "plotting" column 1 for a regular OB visit where nothing is wrong, it's a regular healthy pregnancy?
Thank you!

I'm a little confused. Are you using tracking codes until the delivery? The only time we code an OB visit is after the delivery and there were 3 or fewer visits. If it was a regular OB visit and time was not indicated, I would code it to the lowest new or established level.

I had a webinar last week where it was explained that a normal pregnancy would be considered to be an "acute, uncomplicated illness". We cannot say it is chronic because pregnancy does not last longer than a year.

I had a webinar last week where it was explained that a normal pregnancy would be considered to be an "acute, uncomplicated illness". We cannot say it is chronic because pregnancy does not last longer than a year.
Was this an AAPC webinar or another source?
Thank you!
Erin

I would agree. When I developed the teaching modules for ACOG sooooo many years ago, it is was what we used for a normal visit which we generally thought of as a 99212 or possibly a 99213 for the normal uncomplicated ob check. Since 2021 you can go with MDM or time. For the routine ob visit I would go with time (which of course needs to be documented).

Hello I hope this helps. I'm a current coder for OB GYN and I use for an uncomplicated pregnancy for a routine visit as Z34.9X 1 for first trimester, 2 for second and 3 for third. The only time you would use an EM code is when the visit is a problem visit and your coding outside the global period. Example, Generalized idiopathic code as follows 99213 with o99.350, G40.309, and Z3AX, or diagnosed with Hypertensive heart disease 99213 as follows O09.891, O10.11, I11.9 with Z3a.XX. Pre-existing essential HTN code the same way with an EM code ect, ect. Also, when using Z34 for normal pregnancy doe forget to use Z3A.XX for the gestation of weeks.