Wiki 22830 Exploration Inclusive in Laminectomy

Best answers
Can someone please clarify the following guideline from the CCI Policy Manual?

"1. Exploration of the surgical field is a standard surgical practice. Physicians shall not report a HCPCS/CPT code describing exploration of a surgical field with another HCPCS/CPT code describing a procedure in that surgical field. For example, CPT code 22830 describes exploration of a spinal fusion. CPT code 22830 shall not be reported with another procedure of the spine in the same anatomic area. However, if the spinal fusion exploration is performed in a different anatomic area than another spinal procedure, CPT code 22830 may be reported separately with modifier 59."

What is considered to be a "different anatomical area"? I'm assuming that If the physician does an exploration and hardware removal at L1-L2, and then does a laminectomy (63047) at L2-L3 via the same incision, both the exploration and hardware removal are bundled into the laminectomy? And that a different spinal level is NOT a "different anatomical area"?
Is it only separately billable if it is performed with a separate incision, into a different spinal area, such as cervical or thoracic?

Is there any documentation that specifically addresses this?

Thank you for your consideration!

If I remember the spine is divided into 5 areas - cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacrum, and coccyx - so to code an exploration, wouldn't it have to take place outside the operative site?
But your example said "exploration and removal of hardware", so I would think you code the removal of hardware(with modifier) as well as the laminectomy since the work was done at two separate levels.
What say you Sages? :)