Wiki 25107 vs 25337

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
We have used both of the above for TFCC open repairs. I never know which one is appropriate. The only thing I can figure out is that 25337 would be appropriate depending on how old the injury is and if stabilization is needed. Is 25107 for an acute injury?
Here is an example of op note that physician gave me 25337 : Due to the rotation of the TFCC tear, the decision was made to repair this in an open manner. A longitudinal incision was then made through the 4U portal. Subcutaneous tissues were divided. The retinaculum was divided in line with its fiber to allow visualization of the TFCC and ulnar aspect of the radius. A micro Arthrex corkscrew suture anchor was pre-drilled and placed and the associated sutures limbs were used to approximate the TFCC into anatomic positions. Excellent repair strength and stabilization of the joint was noted.
Please help explain the difference between these two codes and their proper usage.
thank you,

I don't see these codes as being interchangeable. 25337 is treating wrist instability, specifically the distal joints via any number of soft tissue procedures. For this procedure your diagnosis is going to be instability. 25107 is specifically for the repair of the TFCC which is what your physician has performed here. Part of the TFCC was torn and is being held into place with a suture. While a torn TFCC can contribute to wrist instability, it would be inappropriate to use 25337 when the TFCC was repaired. Wrist pain is a symptom of TFCC so that would not be listed separately as a diagnosis, just TFCC.

Last edited: