Wiki 27193 description-Confused!

RebeccaWoodward*

True Blue
Best answers
27193=The physician treats a pelvic ring fx or dislocation. The displacement or dislocation is less than 1 cm. No manipulation is required. Treatment typically is bed rest and crutches. (Per CDR)

For those of you whose physician has charged for this...what was actually done? This charge has a 90 day global period yet the treatment is "typically bed rest and crutches." (??) I understand the concept of no manipulation but the rest of the description is not meshing with me. Can someone shed some light on this? :confused:

27193=The physician treats a pelvic ring fx or dislocation. The displacement or dislocation is less than 1 cm. No manipulation is required. Treatment typically is bed rest and crutches. (Per CDR)

For those of you whose physician has charged for this...what was actually done? This charge has a 90 day global period yet the treatment is "typically bed rest and crutches." (??) I understand the concept of no manipulation but the rest of the description is not meshing with me. Can someone shed some light on this? :confused:

My trauma doc uses this alot--to be perfectly honest--they detect the fracture---give the orders for bed rest, crutches, etc, charge the fracture fee and follow up with the patient.

I approached my surgeon and asked for a decription of what was done. This was the answer I received. I guess I had the "deer in the headlights look" because he asked if I was ok. I just couldn't believe that this code was for bed rest and crutches. I thought that the decision/finding would have been included in the E/M since nothing was done, per se. At least...not what I'm accustomed to seeing. Wow....