Wiki 281.9 Unspecified deficency anemia

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: D64.9

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Anemia, unspecified

Block: Aplastic and other anemias and other bone marrow failure syndromes (D60-D64)

Details: Anemia, unspecified
D64

Excludes1: refractory anemia (D46.-)
refractory anemia with excess blasts in transformation [RAEB T] (C92.0-)

Guidelines: Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism (D50-D89)

Excludes 2: autoimmune disease (systemic) NOS (M35.9)
certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P00-P96)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease (B20)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)

For more details on D64.9, ICD-10 Code for Anemia, unspecified , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

kumeena

True Blue
Best answers
Good morning,

When do you use 281.9? I do not see any documentaiton to use this code. If I do not see any specifid deficiency anemia I code 285.9 . Some times my Physicians code 281.9 which I am not comfortable to change to 285.9 and not sure to accept that code either, without knowing the guidelines for 281.9

Thank you

Last edited:

Evelyn Kim

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
The code would depend on the cause of the Anemia, was it due to a defiency or due to blood loss. 281.9 indicates it is related to a defiency such as nutritional or simple chronic and 285.9 relates to other causes of anemia, such as "postoperative anemia with no mention of blood loss" .

Hope this helps.