Wiki 28820 with 28122

solocoder

Expert
Best answers
One of my doctors uses 28122 and 28820 to describe this sx:

By using sharp dissection, transverse capsulotomy was performed through the dorsal aspect of the 5th metatarsophalangeal joint, and the medial and lateral collateral ligaments were identified and transected. The digit was amputated in toto from the area.

Attention was then directed to the dorsal aspect of his left fifth metatarsal shaft, where capsulotomy was extended proximally into the periosteal structures, and using a sharp dissection, periosteal structures were undermined from underlying bone. By using a power sagittal saw, approximately distal one-half of the fifth metatarsal was removed from distal-dorsal-lateral to proximal-plantar-medial direction. The removed bones were sent to microbiology. The areas were then rongeured and rasped smooth.

However those 2 codes are bundled. Also, it sounds to me like he removed more of the metatarsal than 28122 covers. Can anyone suggest a more appropriate code to use than 28122?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like all of this was done through
the same incision.....if that is the case I would lean toward 28820 only.