• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best answers
I know this maybe a dumb question but i need to know. My provider did an arthroscope on a patient but the he wants to bill 2 units (not bilateral). I'm reading the procedure code description i don't see where this can be billed this way since we only have 2 shoulders and one part to each. Any advice would help

mary winfield,cpc

cpccpma

Networker
Best answers
My question would be why does he want to bill 2 units? Is he thinking he did more work than usual?

Best answers
my question would be why does he want to bill 2 units? Is he thinking he did more work than usual?
yes he does in this case my best answer to him would be to add the -22 modifier with the op report and the 50% fee increase to show it was more work. I've looked at this code and the way it reads you can't bill it by with 2 units only bilaterally. Am i understanding this correctly?

Mary winfield, cpc

dclark7

True Blue
Best answers
Yes you are understanding this correctly. If you physician feels he did more work than usual he should use the 22 modifier.