Wiki 2nd IV Push Same Drug

anajet1

New
Best answers
Good Afternoon All,

Does anyone know how it should be billed when a 2nd IV push of the same drug is given in the office setting? I know there is a code for a subsequent IV push of the same drug 96376, however, it is only for facility billing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Good Afternoon All,

Does anyone know how it should be billed when a 2nd IV push of the same drug is given in the office setting? I know there is a code for a subsequent IV push of the same drug 96376, however, it is only for facility billing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
I have researched this myself and could never find a clear answer. I have found the second push can’t be billed if given directly after the same drug, but It can be billed if another drug is given in between, and is greater than 30 minutes from the 1st push of the drug. I’ll be interested to see what others say.

If the admins are back to back, they are considered the same administration.

We had this arise when a patient was receiving two doses of a medication, one before and one after their chemotherapy infusion. I was advised (by a nationally known coding consultant) to combine the administration times and bill based on the total time. I've never known it to be disputed when our treatment claims were audited by payers.

This is true but it is also only reportable in the facility setting. We don't have a specific code for use on the physician side.