Wiki 31541 vs 64617

jocoffey

Best answers
Hi,
Our correct coding system states that cpt code 64617 and cpt code 31571 are not permitted to be billed together. Does anyone have any

information on these codes. Also notice that for 2017, 3 new codes have been formulated 31572,31573, & 31574. It was some discussion

that 31573 would replace 64617, but not clear on this. Has anyone had to use and bill these codes. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
You cannot bill 31571 and 64617 as they are mutually exclusive procedures. This is from the NCCI Edits:

Code 64617 is a column 2 code for 31571, These codes cannot be billed together in any circumstances.
Code 64617 is bundled into code 31571 Code 64617 cannot be billed with 31571.
CCI edit Rule:
Mutually exclusive procedures

It makes sense when you look at the code descriptions:

31571 - Laryngoscopy, direct, with injection into vocal cord(s), therapeutic; with operating microscope or telescope
64617 - Chemodenervation of muscle(s); larynx, unilateral, percutaneous (eg, for spasmodic dysphonia), includes guidance by needle electromyography, when performed
(For chemodenervation of the larynx performed with direct laryngoscopy, see 31570, 31571)​

As for the difference between 31573 and 64617, it is a matter of the approach. CPT 31573 is done by laryngoscopy whereas 64617 would be done through the skin (percutanous):

31573 - Laryngoscopy, flexible; with therapeutic injection(s) (eg, chemodenervation agent or corticosteroid, injected percutaneous, transoral, or via endoscope channel), unilateral
64617 - Chemodenervation of muscle(s); larynx, unilateral, percutaneous (eg, for spasmodic dysphonia), includes guidance by needle electromyography, when performed​

Hope that helps!

NCCI Edits

Hi, Please help me to download the NCCI edits of 2012 because I need to check multiple procedures can be billable or not. I tried to download the same but there is showing some error to download but I need it urgently because I am working as a Provider and responsible to bill properly. Please help me.

Hi, Please help me to download the NCCI edits of 2012 because I need to check multiple procedures can be billable or not. I tried to download the same but there is showing some error to download but I need it urgently because I am working as a Provider and responsible to bill properly. Please help me.

The NCCI edits are cumulative, which means the current version includes everything in all previous versions. That is why you will not find "NCCI Edits for 2012." You will need to pay attention to the Begin and End date columns, which tell you when that particular edit went into effect and when it ended (if applicable). You download the current edits (which will have all of the previous years edits) from the Medicare website:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/NCCI-Coding-Edits.html

Hope that helps!