Wiki 35700 more than once??

kimcpccircc

Networker
Best answers
Anyone have some knowledge or use of reop 35700? I have a pt that had the previous vein fem-pop yrs ago. Comes in for new fem-pop -same leg so obviously 35700 was applied. But patient comes back in days later because that bypass has occluded and they need do another bypass pop-distal. This means they are operating on the popliteal again 35700 from the years ago bypass but also from the days ago bypass.

Would you add the 35700 to the second bypass? Anybody seen anything like this?

Thanks for any help!!
Kim, CPC, CIRCC

I would not use it on the second bypass because of it's wording:

"Reoperation, femoral-popliteal or femoral-anterior tibial, posterior tibial, peroneal artery or ther distal vessels, more than 1 motnh after original operation."

Unless I'm interpreting it wrong it hasn't been one month since the other operation..."the patient comes back in days later"...

That is my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I would bill the +35700 again.

I agree. I would use 35700 again. Just be sure to add the modifier78 to the end, to indicate that although this code has been previously reported, you are not double coding, but indeed identifying a necessary operation during the post-op period. remember, during the global period, all services rendered are covered and not separatly billable, unless ofcourse you identify them with the proper modifiers.