Wiki 36200?

kvogel03

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone,

I have physician that did a vascular procedure. The physician inserted the sheath into the right femoral artery. Advanced the catheter into the abdominal aorta. Abdominal aortography was performed. Then Bilateral lower extremity angiography was performed after angiography of both iliac artery. For the iliac angiography the catheter was repositioned into the distal abdominal aorta.
I have coded 36200 and 75630 26, 59 the insurance is denying it.

What is the correct CPT Code for this prodecure ?

Thanks,

Kayla

36200 is correct for catheterization, it was advanced in aorta , did not go beyond it. When assign arteriograms, you have to check any finding was found for each arteriogram in documentation ( op report), not just assign because of the imaging was done.

Depending on what was imaged, what I think was probably done was a bilateral lower extremity angio, which is 75716, if imaging was done to the lower extremity. If only the iliacs were imaged, then you have 36200-26, 75630. Modifier -59 means that something was imaged after the basic angio. was performed.

AS said above, the imaging charge depends on what was reported. If the imaging was down to the common femorals, I would code 75630. If the report comments on the SFA and lower, then I would code 75716.

HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC