Wiki 38746 ?

ksschroeder

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone tell me where I can find an official source that states whether CPT 38746 should only be billed with open procedures or if it can be billed for endoscopic procedures as well. CPT doesn't specify.

Thank you

Can anyone tell me where I can find an official source that states whether CPT 38746 should only be billed with open procedures or if it can be billed for endoscopic procedures as well. CPT doesn't specify.

Thank you

I use Craneware for reference on occasion and it provides notes that give you the codes that you have to use add on codes with. But for this code they do not have any which indicate that you can use it with any surgical code.

Here is an example of how Craneware lists it for 44139. Notice it gives you the codes that it can be reported with.
44139 - Mobilization (take-down) of splenic flexure performed in conjunction with partial colectomy (List separately in addition to primary procedure)
Notes Add On
(Use 44139 in conjunction with 44140-44147)

In the example of 38746 it just has (none) for the notes.
38746 - Thoracic lymphadenectomy, regional, including mediastinal and peritracheal nodes (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
Notes (none)

I would check the CCI edits. If it is not listed with the other codes you are using you should be good to go.