Wiki 44143 vs 44141

solocoder

Expert
Best answers
Hi. I've read the CPT and CDR descriptions for both these procedures (over and over :) ) but they sound the same to me. Can someone please tell me the difference?
Thanks!

Hope this helps!

There are the two general types of colostomies performed. A loop colostomy is usually temporary, while an end colostomy is performed when your condition is considered irreversible. The difference between them is mainly in what happens to the two ends of your colon after it’s severed.

In an end colostomy (CPT 44143) only the upper end of your bowel is brought to the opening in your abdomen. It’s stitched there to hold it permanently in place. The lower end is usually stitched shut and left inside your body as a blind pouch

In a loop colostomy (CPT 44141) the surgeon pulls a loop of bowel through the opening in your abdominal wall and then partially severs the loop. They leave both ends poking out of the opening in your abdomen while they’re still connected. The upper end, which is still connected to your small intestine, is where your poop will come out. The lower end, which is connected to the lower part of your bowel, excretes the mucous that’s normally produced there