Wiki 45380 vs. 45385

Best answers
My physicians were told at a seminar in 2001 that if a polyp was completely removed with cold forceps (45380) then you could charge a polypectomy
(45385). I have heard that this was documented in 2005 but I need to have written documentation for my physicians. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Thanks,
Stephanie W.

i thought i read that back then too....but it might have changed because i ran across this earlier this year (published march 2009)
If the technique is stated to be by cold biopsy forceps, code 45380 should be assigned and not a code from the 45383 - 45385 code range.

taken from here....
http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/Coding-Colonoscopies-Polypectomies.aspx

it's not what you were looking for but it may be the most updated/corrected coding now-a-days...hoped it helped anyhows!

45380 and 45385 are two different methods for removing a polyp. 45380 can be used to biopsy a polyp and/or remove a polyp by using cold biopsy forceps. 45385 is the use of cold or hot snare to remove a polyp. Polypectomy is just a generic term that covers many different methods of removing a polyp.