Wiki 47480 laparascopic equivilant

JenReyn99

Guru
Best answers
I need help! I can't find a lap code that satisfies the same criteria as 47480, which is the procedure that the doc did, but it was done laparascopically. We billed it to mcr with an unlisted code, and documentation, and they said that there is a better code. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I agree with you that the unlisted procedure should be the appropriate code in this case. There is no laparoscopic cholecystotomy code. Code 47480 is the open procedure and code 47490 is the percutaneous procedure which does not use the scope so this does not appear to be the correct code either.

If Medicare says there is a better code, they should tell you what code should be filed.

Good luck.

I agree with you that the unlisted procedure should be the appropriate code in this case. There is no laparoscopic cholecystotomy/cholecystostomy code. Code 47480 is the open procedure and code 47490 is the percutaneous procedure which does not use the scope so this does not appear to be the correct code either.

If Medicare says there is a better code, they should tell you what code should be filed.

Good luck.