Wiki 49322 vs 58679

bag4498

Networker
Best answers
I guess it's technically not an aspiration the physician is just puncturing the cyst. I'm thinking that's probably why 3M is recommending the unlisted code, but I can't find any reference to support it. From my past experience, 3M is excellent about responding to inquiries and usually has well-researched rationale for all of their encoder logic. If you call them or go to their website and an open a ticket, I would imagine you'd get a prompt response back from them with additional information.

I would have coded laparoscopic incision & drainage of a cyst as 49322 without even giving it a second thought. I've never used 3M.
When I do give it a second thought, I do see how 49322 specifies aspiration and the full description in codify states "withdraws fluid" and "suction", so I can understand the rationale for unlisted, just don't necessarily agree with it. You use unlisted when no other CPT accurately describes the service. I feel 49322 is 99% accurate.
I highly recommend ACOGs ask a coding question. If your doc is an ACOG member, you can register and it's free to ask up to 3 questions per month. They state 1-3 weeks for an answer, but I've never had it take even a full week. To me, their advice is the holy grail. If ACOG told me unlisted 58679, that's what I would do, comparing to 49322. In absence of that, I would use 49322.