Wiki 4th and 5th characters

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
Taking the CPB course, followed by the CPC course: When the icon indicating that a 4th (or 5th) character is required, it does NOT show which options are available for the 4th or 5th character. It is not explained to that degree in the text and it not given in the ICD 10 code manual. How do I add the 4th or 5th character? What do I put in that spot? If the idea is to go further down the line in the indentations in the category, why even have the lower-number of digits code in the first place. it sounds like you arent' allowed to use it.

Last edited:
Hi Mrsrpc😊
The ICD10 dx 4 or 5th digits are used in responding to the provider s documentation. As example look at dx R94.3 This is related to abnormal results of the ECG (add1) or the cardio function test(add0)...then add correct 5th digit per matching doctors notes. Here is another look at example Dx L24.8 irritants dermatitis. L24.8(1) is irritation due to metals whereas dx L24.8(9) dyes or other sources. thus adding those 5, 6, 7 digits is due to documentation in the provider treatment record.
I hope I explained this to you
Lady T:)