58563 and 58558

bsievering

Contributor
Best answers
Good morning!

We have had an OB/GYN to join our family practice. While we have coded and billed for deliveries (including c-sections) we have never had experience in coding and billing any other GYN surgeries.

This morning, I came across a situation that I am fairly certain cannot be billed, but wanted some clarification.

On 10/17/17, the provider billed a 58558. Two days later, 10/19/17, he billed 58563. From all the research done, it seems that the codes are bundled and you can only bill the 58563 when the two are done together. However, I can't seem to find any other situation in which the codes were billed on two separate days.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
58558 does not have any global period. There should be no issue with billing the codes 2 days apart.
IF the procedure did have a global, you would bill the 2nd procedure with modifier -78 (unplanned return to OR within postop).

sloangarcia

Best answers
ok to bill separately

Hi there. Just wanted to say that I totally agree. No problem billing the 58558 and then billing the 58563 a few days later. My doctor said it's usual to do a hysteroscopy with biopsy or removal of polyp (59558) and then a few days later do an endometrial ablation (58563), and agreed there's not a global for the 58558. Good luck:) -Lee

Best answers
Postpartum care after low transverse cesarean section and bilateral tubal ligation

Should I bill and E/M level are will this be considered part of the postpartum care? My provider has it documented as a yearly exam with a postpartum visit, however patient delivered over 52 days ago and have been in the office for 1 postpartum visit already ready?