Wiki 62284/Medicare help!!!!!!!!!!!

Best answers
We billed a myelogram to Medicare, CPT code 62284. Medicare denied our claim as duplicate to the radiologist?s claim. Medicare rep told me we need to rebill with a modifier to show that Dr was the surgeon and that it is the professional claim. Does anyone know what modifier is correct? We used the "26" modifier on the 72295 code.

Thanks,
Jennifer

you can check the Medicare fee schedule and it will show you what modifiers are payable with any CPT code. Also the LCD will tell you.

We billed a myelogram to Medicare, CPT code 62284. Medicare denied our claim as duplicate to the radiologist?s claim. Medicare rep told me we need to rebill with a modifier to show that Dr was the surgeon and that it is the professional claim. Does anyone know what modifier is correct? We used the "26" modifier on the 72295 code.

Thanks,
Jennifer

62284 doesn't have a TC/26 breakdown, per the CMS RVU file. Did your surgeon and the radiologist both submit 62284? Are they part of the same group?

We didn't put the 26/TC on the 62284 just the 72295, not sure no they are not part of the same practice. Thanks though

If you are getting a duplicate denial, the radiologist must have also submitted the 62284, but didn't really have the right to, if your surgeon performed the injection procedure for the myelogram. Is there a way to call the radiologist's office to find out exaclty what they billed?

A myelogram is billed as such

62284 Injection procedure for myelography and/or computed tomography, spinal (other than C1-C2 and posterior fossa)

with:

72265 Myelography, lumbosacral, radiological supervision and interpretation

or

72255 Myelography, thoracic, radiological supervision and interpretation

or

72245 Myelography, cervical, radiological supervision and interpretation

or

72270 Myelography, 2 or more regions (eg, lumbar/thoracic, cervical/thoracic, lumbar/cervical, lumbar/thoracic/cervical), radiological supervision and interpretation

The 62284 and the appropriate supervision and interpretation code (72265, 72255, 72240, or 72270) if the physician you are reporting for performed this portion of the test. Or did your physician perform the injection and the radiologist perform the final report of the images. The setting and the exact scenario is not clear. Typically if the radiologist is going to perform a myelogram he is going to do the injection and the supervision and interpretation. Maybe in the case you are a describing your physician performed the injection procedure and the supervision and interpretation. But a radiologist was also present during the case and did a report? Again what you are describing is unclear what transpired. Additionally, you indicate you are reporting 72295 Discography, lumbar, radiological supervision and interpretation. This would not be reported with the myelogram code, this might of just been a typo but if a discogram was performed the injection procedure code would be 62290 Injection procedure for discography, each level; lumbar for the lumbar region.

I agree with Medicare customer service that the radiologist and your physician can not both report the same procedure code for the same procedure. If this was a split service such as your physician performed the injection portion and the radiologist performed the supervision and interpretation then each would report the respective code pertaining to what is performed.

If you are billing for an ASC, for Medicare this service would not be covered due to the fact that diagnostic procedures such as discograms or myelograms are not reimbursed in an ASC for Medicare.

If you are billing for a Hospital, 62284 or 62290 payment would be packaged into the payment for the S and I code.

I would review with the physician who performed what service and was there duplication of performance of any of the procedure. I would also contact the radiologists office to see what portion they believe they billed. To narrow down the answer.