Wiki 64708

tscobee

Networker
Best answers
If our doctor does the neuroplasty on 3 different nerves, should we bill that 64708 with 3 units and the 3 different dx's or 64708 - LT, 64708 - LT,XS, and 64708 - LT,XS?

Just checking to see if anyone can help me with this. I have surgery billing set aside with these codes. Any help would be appreciated. :)

It depends on the payer and how they want multiple units of the same CPT reported. Some may want one line with three units and others may want three lines with one unit each.

Yes.....decompression of common, superficial, and soleal nerve lesions.
Sorry for the delay. Decompression of nerve is 64722 (unspecified nerves) or 64726 (plantar digital nerve). 64722 (which sounds like the correct code for you without seeing the op report) has a MUE of 4. So you would bill on separate lines for Medicare with 59 or XS modifiers on line 2 and 3. The only covered icd10 for this code is G58.9.
But if the diagnosis is neuroma (a disorganized growth of nerve cells at the site of a nerve injury) then you would want to use one of the 6477x , 6478x, or 6479x codes. Again, without seeing the full op report and patient history, these are just my opinions based on the information provided.

Sorry for the delay. Decompression of nerve is 64722 (unspecified nerves) or 64726 (plantar digital nerve). 64722 (which sounds like the correct code for you without seeing the op report) has a MUE of 4. So you would bill on separate lines for Medicare with 59 or XS modifiers on line 2 and 3. The only covered icd10 for this code is G58.9.
But if the diagnosis is neuroma (a disorganized growth of nerve cells at the site of a nerve injury) then you would want to use one of the 6477x , 6478x, or 6479x codes. Again, without seeing the full op report and patient history, these are just my opinions based on the information provided.
Agree. It depends on the nerve type, location and why as far as the CPT choice and dx. It's difficult to tell without an op note.

Thank you both for your help! It helps a lot! I'm in my 25 year of billing, but podiatry is fairly new to me. :)