Wiki 66984 and 67005

companey

Networker
Best answers
My doctor took a patient to the operating room for a normal Cataract extraction and then she had complication during surgery. During Cataract surgery the entire nucleus dropped into the posterior segment. The OP note said no evidence of any posterior capsule remaining anywhere. She consulted with a Retina Specialiest and a subtotal anterior vitectomy was undertaken. The decision was made to finish the surgery by placing an AC IOL and remove the nucleus in the posterior segment next week.

CCI edits bundles 66984 and 67005. Can it be unbundled since this was not a plan procedure.:confused: If so how would you code this. Any help will be verry appreciated.

My doctor took a patient to the operating room for a normal Cataract extraction and then she had complication during surgery. During Cataract surgery the entire nucleus dropped into the posterior segment. The OP note said no evidence of any posterior capsule remaining anywhere. She consulted with a Retina Specialiest and a subtotal anterior vitectomy was undertaken. The decision was made to finish the surgery by placing an AC IOL and remove the nucleus in the posterior segment next week.

CCI edits bundles 66984 and 67005. Can it be unbundled since this was not a plan procedure.:confused: If so how would you code this. Any help will be verry appreciated.

If you have a copy of Dictionary of Eye Terminology 5th Ed. and Coding Companion for Ophthalmology 2011, you will see why these two are bundled and no, I would not unbundle them. Also, from your description, the code for the subtotal anterior vitrectomy should be 67010.

David Keown, CPC, OCS