Wiki 67113

Best answers
For 67113 - repair of complex retinal detachment, is a membrane peel necessary to code a complex retinal detachment?

Hello, I consider myself still new to eye specialty but recently, I obtained COPC certification. I was waiting for other responses because i am also very interested in clarification. At our multispecialty department, we code 67113 for retinal detachment (RD) with membrane peel but when I took a practice exam for COPC and entered 67108 (because peeling was Not done), my answer was wrong. When I emailed customer service to notify of the error, i was told that 'peeling' is not necessary as long as all other criteria are met in the description. Also, per Coding CPT Assistant 2016 page 5,11 Category, Repair Retinal Detachments, it says' Coding Tip ' A retinotomy and removal of retroretinal membrane is Not required to report code 67113, as retroretinal membrane are present only in a minority of complex retinal detachments. Patients with subretinal neovascular membranes do not typically have an associated RD"