Wiki 67950 Medial and Lateral

bjoellen

Best answers
Can anyone offer advice on how to code 67950 Canthoplasty if the physician performs this on both the medial and lateral canthus of the same eye (inner and outer corner). I can't find any information about whether this code is one unit per eye, or if there are modifiers that allow me to bill more than one unit. For now, I have been billing one unit per eye without any modifiers or codes to indicate an additional corner of the eye.

Any advice or resources is appreciated!
Thanks!

Hi,

The canthus is the corner of the eyelid. The medial canthus is the corner near the nose; the lateral canthus is the corner closer to the ear. Canthoplasty is a surgery to change the canthus. Medial canthoplasty changes the inner corner of the eye; lateral canthoplasty changes the outer corner. The epicanthus, or epicanthal fold, is the semi-lunar fold of skin over the medial canthus. Epicanthoplasty changes the shape of the epicanthus. There is only one epicanthus on each side. It is medial, but it is not called the medial epicanthus. There is no lateral epicanthus and thus there is no lateral epicanthoplasty.

Thanks,
Kokila Venkatesan, CPC-A

Not Epicanthoplasty...

Hi,

The canthus is the corner of the eyelid. The medial canthus is the corner near the nose; the lateral canthus is the corner closer to the ear. Canthoplasty is a surgery to change the canthus. Medial canthoplasty changes the inner corner of the eye; lateral canthoplasty changes the outer corner. The epicanthus, or epicanthal fold, is the semi-lunar fold of skin over the medial canthus. Epicanthoplasty changes the shape of the epicanthus. There is only one epicanthus on each side. It is medial, but it is not called the medial epicanthus. There is no lateral epicanthus and thus there is no lateral epicanthoplasty.

Thanks,
Kokila Venkatesan, CPC-A

I am trying to find out how to code if my physician performed a medial canthoplasty and lateral canthoplasty on the same eye.

Thanks.