Wiki 68801-50 Dilation of Lacrimal Punctum

adpaugel

Best answers
Hi all,

This is a current question in our billing office. Medicare states that 68801-LT and 68801-RT need to be billed together using modifier 50. I believe that when billing with modifier 50, we should use 1 unit at 150% the regularly billed rate.

A coworker believes you should use 68801-50 with 2 units at full fee.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if its true or not but in my modifier training I was told if modifier increases the reimbursement rate to increase the rate on the bill. If modifier reduces, let the payer do the reduction.

Medicare won't increase the reimbursement rate on their own. So, you would agree that 68801-50, 1 unit, should be 150% the typical charge? Or 1 unit, double the charge? I suppose either way Medicare will adjust down as they see fit.

Medicare won't increase the reimbursement rate on their own. So, you would agree that 68801-50, 1 unit, should be 150% the typical charge? Or 1 unit, double the charge? I suppose either way Medicare will adjust down as they see fit.

I believe its 1 unit double the charge. You're dilating both punctum so you charge for each service. A typical payment comes at 150% of your contracted amount with most payors likely including Medicare since they will expect you to take a 50% discount figuring you've already been working on the one eye and are now moving to a second.

Thanks, I thought so. I was able to locate the MLN Matters on modifier 50, so I'll be presenting that to my supervisor today. Your input is much appreciated!