Wiki 71034 clarification

KDBailey8709

Best answers
We rarely perform this procedure (CPT 71034). I understand the other cardiac fluoro codes, but 71034 has me a little confused. What constitutes a ?complete? cardiac X-ray (look at CPT code 71030)? I am trying to design an EHR template for chest fluoro and I need to include all information that should be documented. Thanks for any and all feedback!

In this diagnostic procedure, the provider performs a complete, or minimum of four views, radiological study of the chest using fluoroscopy. He performs this study for the assessment of conditions affecting the chest, its contents, and nearby structures.

Clinical Responsibility

X rays, or radiographs, involve using radiation to diagnose, manage, and treat diseases by examining specific body structures. The provider performs an X ray exam of the patient's chest with at least four views. The provider uses fluoroscopy and obtains different views of the chest by changing the orientation of the patient's body and direction of the X ray beams. The provider may perform anteroposterior, or front to back view, posteroanterior, or back to front view, lateral, or side to side view, or right and left oblique views, or views taken at approximately a 45 degree angle.

The patient may swallow contrast, during or before the exposure, depending upon the provider?s orders. Contrast medium helps improve the visibility of the internal structures. The provider takes different pictures through the X ray beams, and he uses fluoroscopy to view on a monitor the enhanced view of the structures. Additional views of the chest may be taken by the provider, such as decubitus, or lying on the side that can help detect fluid, lordotic that helps to visualize the apex of the lung, and expiratory, or after blowing breath out.

When the provider performs a complete, or minimum of four view, radiological examination of the chest without fluoroscopy, use code 71030, Radiologic examination, chest, complete, minimum of 4 views.

Hope this helps!

It clarifies a lot for me. Thank you. One thing I am confused about: Is this X-rays in addition to fluoro or just fluoro for 71034. I read that if films are produced (I am assuming X-ray films) then we should code 71034. If not films are produced and only fluoro is used, 76000 is correct.

I sincerely appreciate your information!