Wiki 77072 - Bone Age Studies

Best answers
I am unable to find any clinical policies for performing a 77072. My coder used diagnosis Z68.54 for BMI and this was denied. The script has several diagnoses, none of which seem appropriate. I have N92.6, Z84.89, Z68.54, G47.00, F90.0 and Z82.0. When I have claims denied for diagnosis my go to is to look for the insurance's own payment policy but as I am unable to find any for any insurance, would anyone be able to give me any direction?

BMI is actually not a diagnosis - it's a code to be used in addition to another diagnosis in order to report that information when it is relevant, so I think that's the problem. I agree with you that none of those other codes really look correct for this type of diagnostic test, and so if you don't have access to the records, I think the only way to determine the reason for the test would be to query the provider.

Last edited:
When I have seen this ordered it was usually to decide on the appropriate time for surgery in children before the growth plates closed. Usually for tibial osteotomy procedures. Or, the patient has a bone disorder. Does this patient have a congenital deformity or some other bone problem that they forgot to list on the order maybe? Osteogenesis imperfecta is one example.
Like Thomas, suggested, you'd have to query.