Wiki 8 Chronic Conditions

I am not sure I understand your question. There are way more than 8 chronic conditions for risk adjustment and what model are you looking for CDPS for Medicaid or HCC?

According to my HCC course:

The "Chronic 7" are Hypertension, CHF, Asthma, COPD, Parkinsons, DM and Emphysema.

Here is a link I found: http://excitehealthpartners.com/news/coding-reporting-of-chronic-conditions/

"Is this a chronic condition that the patient receives ongoing treatment?

Per Coding Clinic 3rd Quarter 2007 pages 13 and 14 it states, “If there is documentation in the medical record to indicate that the patient has COPD, it should be coded. Even if this condition is listed only in the history section with no contradictory information, the condition should be coded. Chronic conditions such as, but not limited to, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, COPD, and diabetes mellitus are chronic systemic diseases that ordinarily should be coded even in the absence of documented intervention or further evaluation.” "

Last edited:
According to my HCC course:

The "Chronic 7" are Hypertension, CHF, Asthma, COPD, Parkinsons, DM and Emphysema.

Here is a link I found: http://excitehealthpartners.com/news/coding-reporting-of-chronic-conditions/

"Is this a chronic condition that the patient receives ongoing treatment?

Per Coding Clinic 3rd Quarter 2007 pages 13 and 14 it states, “If there is documentation in the medical record to indicate that the patient has COPD, it should be coded. Even if this condition is listed only in the history section with no contradictory information, the condition should be coded. Chronic conditions such as, but not limited to, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, COPD, and diabetes mellitus are chronic systemic diseases that ordinarily should be coded even in the absence of documented intervention or further evaluation.” "
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the link to the website also.

According to 2007 Risk Adjustment Data Training for Medicare Advantage Organizations Participant Guide “Chronic conditions such as, but not limited to, congestive heart failure (CHF), Parkinson’s disease, COPD, and diabetes mellitus are chronic systemic diseases that ordinarily should be coded even in the absence of documented intervention or further evaluation".

Here is the actual list I use:

• AIDS/HIV
  • Atrial Filbrillation
  • Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
  • Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
  • Diabetes
  • Hemiplegia
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!