Wiki 80101 documentation

soprano

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone know what kind of documentation would you expect to find for drug testing?
(80101 x multiple units) My providers are saying something minimal like "Drug screen WNL".

Is this enough? Does the documentation need to say how many or what drug classes were being tested?

Hi.

I certainly don't think that "Drug Screen WNL" is enough documentation to determine a proper code. (May I assume that WNL = within normal limits?).

Before I selected a code, I would want to know the drug(s) or class of drug(s) being tested, the source of the specimen (urine, blood, breath, feces, sputum), the method (e.g., chromtography, assay) and whether it is qualitative or quantitative.

CPT directs you to 80100-80101, 80104, 82486, 99408-99409.

80100: You should see the words "qualitative" and "chromatographic as well as indications of multiple drug classes, i.e., amphetmines, benzodiazepines or alcohols.

80101: You should see only a single drug class and see words like "immuno assay" or "enzyme assay" and NOT see the word "chromatography."

80104: You should see multiple drug classes and anything type of testing OTHER THAN chromatography.

99408 and 99409 are not P&L codes and are in the E/M section under "Counseling Risk Factor Reduction and Behavior Change Inrtervention."

It well may be that your "Drug Screen" was a breathalizer for alcohol and that would put your code in the "Chemistry" section of the CPT.

This sounds like you need to query the provider. Good luck.

Last edited:

According to the CPT the drug screen is looking to find drugs, not specific ones. My providers use "Drug Screen" as well. If they want specific drugs tested the providers usually check the boxes for those tests on the requisition, or write it on the order. Such as screen for methamphetamine. I hope this helps.

I think it is imperative you know by which METHOD the test is being done. Using a complex chemistry analyzer that involves distinct analysis per drug class verses a less complex, CLIA waived method, such as a drug test cup - will determine your code.