Wiki 83912

mannlx

Best answers
does anyone bill this cpt 83912 with the molecular modifiers,and do you agree with the new NCCI edits that this cpt should only be billable once per date of service. see paragraph below

CMS interprets these codes (88291 and 83912) to include the synthesis with interpretation and report of all molecular diagnostic testing or cytogenetic/molecular cytogenetic testing respectively performed on a single date of service. These codes should not be reported with separate units of service based on the number of specimens or tests on a single date of service.

one more question:
Is this the cpt code you bill when your physician interprets a herpes simplex virus molecular test ??

Do I agree with the NCCI edit? No. I do think you are interpreting it correctly though. Like consult codes which are strictly interpretive, Medicare is allowing only one unit of 83912 per day, no matter how many interpretations you are doing.

I don't know about your HSV test, but if you are using the codes in this 838910-83909 series, then I don't see why the interpretation and report (83912) wouldn't apply.