Wiki 87635 collection sent to lab

SHobbs

Guru
Best answers
I am so confused right now... Maybe someone could help. I am trying to help this provider, they are billing 87635 and when I questioned if they performed the test in house they said "this was not an inhouse covid test. It was a nasopharyngeal swab PCR test. I am billing for the collection"
The specimen is sent out to a lab for testing and they want to bill 87635 along with their E/M for covid symtoms.

I am so confused right now... Maybe someone could help. I am trying to help this provider, they are billing 87635 and when I questioned if they performed the test in house they said "this was not an inhouse covid test. It was a nasopharyngeal swab PCR test. I am billing for the collection"
The specimen is sent out to a lab for testing and they want to bill 87635 along with their E/M for covid symtoms.
I believe that if the patient comes in and just had a COVID swab (ex. COVID PCR test) that was sent to the lab you don't bill 87635 because the lab will be the one to bill the 87635 - If patient came in just for a nurse visit to have the COVID swab, we bill 99211.