Question 87811 COVID 19 Rapid test

Best answers
I am trying to bill 87811 to Medicare for the rapid COVID test and they are denying it stating that the CLIA # the provider has does not support this test. Is there something special we need to do to bill this? The McKesson rep states that it is a billable code.

klane7

Contributor
Best answers
I am having the same issue, but only with UHC products. I have billed it both ways for UHC and they are both denying. I cannot find any up to date information on the UHC provider site. Does anyone know if uhc is now wanting a different modifier?

thranowski

Networker
Best answers
For the rapid test where we swab the nose, mix it with a liquid and then put it on a cartridge and a machine reads the results, we have been using 87426-QW. If it has the Flu A&B, I would use the code 87428-QW. We haven't had any issues with these codes.

klane7

Contributor
Best answers
Our rapid test is only for Covid, cpt 87811, direct optical. McKesson is also stating this is the correct code with the QW modifier. Is anyone getting paid on this code by UHC?

MariaG

New
Best answers
Our rapid test is only for Covid, cpt 87811, direct optical. McKesson is also stating this is the correct code with the QW modifier. Is anyone getting paid on this code by UHC?
I am having the same issue with all payers for this CPT. I just contacted McKesson for some guidance. Perhaps we are using the incorrect CPT?