Wiki 88108

Best answers
We are still arguing about this...

Report #1
Pathology Interp Report
Smear Review Interp
Gross Descripton: CSF, tube #1, fluoroscopically guided lumbar puncture - 2 cytospin preparations reviewed (Diff Quick stained)
The report also states "See corresponding cytology report." And references report # 2.

Report #2
Cytology Non Gyn Report
Gross Description: CSF fluoroscopically guided lumbar puncture - 1 ml pale yellow tinged translucent fluid received from which 4 cytospin preparations are made (2 Diff Quick and 2 Pap stained)

I coded as follows:
Report #1: I am not sure there is a cpt that covers this. The only thing that the pathologist did was review the already prepared cytology slides. 88321 is for tissue and it does not meet the requirements for a consult (80503).

Report #2: 88108

What cpt would you use for the above reports?

Hi Brandy
are you asking what CPT or Dx used in conjunction with this lab 88108? it seems came from the spinal cavity so was this done because of Chronic Back pain M54.5/G89.29 or skin infection on back area L30.3 or spinal cord cyst D21.6 or D23.5or G96.19 ? Check out CPT 62667 or 62272 pulling fluid from spine.
I hope I helped you
Lady T (y)

Hi Brandy
are you asking what CPT or Dx used in conjunction with this lab 88108? it seems came from the spinal cavity so was this done because of Chronic Back pain M54.5/G89.29 or skin infection on back area L30.3 or spinal cord cyst D21.6 or D23.5or G96.19 ? Check out CPT 62667 or 62272 pulling fluid from spine.
I hope I helped you
Lady T
No not the dx, I know that we are trying to determine which surgical pathology code we should be using when the pathologist is reviewing slides that were already prepared. The pathologist office is saying we should be using 88104 or 88108. We (myself and my fellow coders) do not agree with them. Our understanding of 88104 and 88108 is that the pathologist prepares the slides, reviews the slides and provides a report and interpretation. In the examples provided the pathologist is is reviewing already prepared slides in Report #1.