Wiki 88172 done remotely

kate8

Networker
Best answers
Can we charge 88172 (Cytopathology, evaluation of fine needle aspirate; immdediate cytohistologic study to determine adequacy of specimens) if our doctor does the immediate read remotely? We have some instances where they scan the slide and electronically send the image to our pathologist who does the immediate read and reports the findings back immediately.

Since this is new technology I have not found any answers that address this specific scenario, however I am inclined to think that we can charge for this as it is done at the time of the procedure, but is just done at another location. Does anyone have any input on this?
Thanks!

88172 pathologist remote interp

According to the college of american pathologists-CAP today, as long as the pathologist provides assessment before the patient leaves the table, then 88172 is chargeable for the immediate exam of the aspirate. It does not specifically say that the pathologist must be present.

I agree, you can bill the 88172 as long as the pt is waiting , so that if your pathologist had said inadequate, the physician could take another specimen.