HNISHA

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

The specimen are :

Posterior Vaginal Wall excision # 1
Posterior Vaginal Wall excision # 2
Anterior Vaginal Wall Excision

There is no medical necessity documented for the first two specimens.

How many units we can report. Please help!

Thanks in Advance!

I don't think this is 88302 to begin with, these aren't incidental specimens.

What do you mean there is no medical necessity? If these are biopsies, you should be coding the findings and billing 88305 x3

Its 88305

Thanks for your input!

I agree that it should have been 88305. My apologies for the typo.

I need clarification on the second part. Both of the specimen examined are taken from the same anatomical site Posterior Vaginal Wall. Is it appropriate to give credits to both.

Medically necessity I meant was the document does not indicate that the first Specimen PVW # 1 need additional attention.

Thanks as always!

If they are seperately submitted for individual attention by the surgeon, they are separately reported. As you note, these are submitted as excision #1 and excision #2. Even if they are from the same anatomical site, there's nothing here to say they are adjacent to each other or "two halves of the same thing."

I'm not seeing the whole report but think of a breast case where you have an excision of lesion and the next specimen is an extension of that excision. The second is still billable.

The exception would be if the pathologist is bundling the diagnosis for both into a single dx. Even then, it would have to read "vaginal excision." If the report is for "vaginal excision #1 and #2" I would still bill two.