Wiki 88305 with modifier 22 - I am wondering if anyone has experience

m214186

New
Best answers
I am wondering if anyone has experience with laboratories billing codes 88302-88305 with a modifier 22? This does not seem appropriate since a unit of service is defined as the specimen itself. According to the pathologist these are larger than normal specimens. Again i would expect to see this modifier used on the surgeon's CPT charges, not the pathologists. Any advice?

Thanks,
Sara Frail CPC

I am wondering if anyone has experience with laboratories billing codes 88302-88305 with a modifier 22? This does not seem appropriate since a unit of service is defined as the specimen itself. According to the pathologist these are larger than normal specimens. Again i would expect to see this modifier used on the surgeon's CPT charges, not the pathologists. Any advice?

Thanks,
Sara Frail CPC

That modifier is not allowed on laboratory codes.

we do a lot of transplants at our hospital and when the pathologist exams the biopsy of a transplant pt he evaluates it on many criteria and it is 2 pages of results, but still we just bill 88305 ( for example an intestinal bx) so although I can see why your pathologist may want you to use the 22 it is not done.
happy holidays to all