Wiki 90791 vs 90792

nikki_coder

Networker
Best answers
What CPT code is best to use when the patient is seen in the ER and is given prescription meds at the time of service to stabilize them? They may not necessarily be given a prescription when discharged.

I would consider 90839 with 90863 add-on if the face-to-face time with the patient was at least 30-74 minutes. If the face-to-face time was less than 30 minutes, I would consider 90832 with the 90863 add-on. Of course, refer to your code book to make sure all of the criteria are met.

My first question would be what type of provider saw them?

I agree with this statement. Depending on the provider will determine which code you can actually bill out. If the provider was a psychologist, then you cannot bill a 90792 (Psych Dx Eval w/ Rx), unless you live in a state which allows psychologist to prescribe medication. If the provider was a psychiatrist, then you might be able to bill out 90792 since this would be a person with a medical degree with a specialty of psychiatry.

There are also some other codes which would be more applicable depending on the patient status (crisis mode, initial visit, etc.), however I am assuming from your initial post that this visit was the first visit with the provider.

Hope this helps!